Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Bento for Baby 38: Banana Bread with Cream Cheese and Grilled Vegetable Quesadilla


Well, today's bento is a bit blah looking. . .I know I don't typically make cutesy bentos, but this bento is a bit drab.  But I guess none of that matters if it pleases Baby Girl's palate, right?  And I think I did succeed on that front, at least partially.  She didn't eat everything, but she did eat some new things and I consider that a success.




So, here are the details on the food for this day:  For breakfast she had some whole wheat banana bread with no added sugar made into a little sandwich with some organic full fat cream cheese.  She also had half a pear cut into wedges.  Lunch was made up of some cut red grapes in the green silicone cup, some organic mixed vegetables in the white silicone cup, and a quesadilla of grilled vegetables and provolone cheese. The quesadilla is a variation on our dinner from the night before - grilled vegetable sandwich. We eat this every few weeks during the summer using the bounty of squash and eggplant we get from our CSA share.  It is one of our favorite summer meals.  Unfortunately, it turns out a bit big for a baby to eat. . .This picture was take a year ago, but the scale of the sandwich is still too large for a toddler mouth and hands.  I used to be able to just give her a few pieces of grilled vegetables, but unfortunately she will no longer happily eat the vegetables alone.  So this time I finely diced a mix of the grilled zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and roasted red pepper and made a quesadilla on a 100% whole grain tortilla from Trader Joe's with the same sharp aged provolone I used in our sandwich.  She happily ate half of it for dinner and the two pieces I put into her bento the next day.

Supplies similar to those used in this bento:

No comments:

Post a Comment