Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bento for Baby 35: Blueberry Muffin and Lentil Salad


In her bento on this lovely day Baby Girl had a mixed grain and blueberry muffin from the freezer for breakfast/morning snack.  She also had one sun butter oatmeal ball and some organic strawberries. For lunch she had some roasted vegetable and lentil salad that I made for dinner the night before. With the salad I packed some sugar snap peas, half an organic pear and two small pieces of homemade whole wheat bread.  My husband, Dan, has been making all the bread we eat at home for the past few years using the recipes from the excellent cookbook, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking.  Papa's bread is one of Baby Girl's favorite things.  I'm pretty fond of it myself.

I made the lentil salad by tossing some french lentils with some roasted beets, butternut squash and figs.  I dressed the salad with nice balsamic vinegar and olive oil and topped it with some organic feta and toasted walnuts.  For dinner we ate it on a bed of lightly dressed arugula.  For a quick dinner that I made up on the fly, it turned out pretty tasty, and rather beautiful, as well.  Baby Girl enjoyed the lentils, cheese and walnuts, but was skeptical of the roasted vegetables and fruit.  It has been difficult getting her eat many vegetables that are mixed with other foods recently, but I keep trying!  


No comments:

Post a Comment