Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bento for Baby Recipe: Whole Wheat Banana Bread with No Added Sugar



This banana bread is a mix of different whole wheat banana bread recipes on the web. I mostly adapted a recipe from Shape magazine, but I found that it was a bit dry without a bit of oil and the recipe was lacking salt. Baby Girl adores this banana bread for breakfast or snacks.

Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup water
2 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more for pan
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon olive oil, for pan

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. With a hand mixer, beat together banana, oil, eggs, vanilla, and water until creamy.

3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Gradually add dry mixture to wet ingredients, beating well. Pour batter into a gently oiled and floured 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.

Footnote 1/27/2015:
Although this recipe worked well for me the few times I made it, I have found the bread too dry for my taste the past couple times I've made it.  To help with this, I used 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/4 milk instead of water when I made it most recently.  This helped to make the bread a bit more moist and less crumbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment