Monday, May 19, 2014

Bento for Baby Recipe: Sun Butter-Oatmeal Balls

I grew up eating a version of these made with peanut butter, before the increase in peanut/nut allergies made nut free lunches necessary.  You could of course still make them with peanut butter, but we must use sun butter since my daughter's school is nut free.  These were one of my favorite snacks when I was a kid (and still are!).  I was excited to start making them for my daughter once she was old enough to eat honey and had enough teeth to chew the oatmeal.  There are quite a few versions of this recipe kicking around the internet, here's my version:


Ingredients

1.5 cup dry oatmeal
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (plus more for rolling)
1/2 cup sun butter
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoons vanilla extract


Directions



Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until completely combined.  If the mixture seems too dry or too wet adjust the oatmeal and nut/sun butter until the mixture sticks together well but isn't too wet.  Chill the mixture for 10 minutes or more so that the mixture is a bit less sticky and easier to work with.

Take about 1/2 a tablespoon of the mixture and roll between your palms until a tight ball is formed.  I shoot for a ball about the size of a large gum ball.  To make them easier to hold and less sticky I roll them in coconut flakes.  I put a bit of coconut in a bowl and roll around the balls until they are thoroughly coated.  I store them in the fridge so that they stay nice and firm.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment